Heartwood Refuge is a new intentional community in Hendersonville, NC. Open, but still under rehabilitation, the compound will also be a contemporary meditation retreat center and state-of-the-art conference venue. We are a four-fold Buddhist community of resident practitioners of Theravada, Mahayana, Zen, Vipassana (Insight) and Tibetan traditions. 30 minutes from Asheville, North Carolina, the community has a 30 room victorian mansion with an additional 60 motel-style adjoining cabins and large meditation hall, surrounded by tree’d lots, overlooking Lake Osceola. We are soon to open parts of the property to a spa, cafe, and Inn.
We are offering four live-in intern positions Position will last for 6 months, with an opportunity for another 6 month extension.
- Marketing Intern / Content manager
- Personal Assistant
- Two maintenance/groundskeeping/handyperson positions
- Housing, utilities, 3 meals/day, internet and stipend(50/week) are provided.
- Each position will be provided training by a professional in the field.
- Engage with like minded people in Buddhist practice, study, and community.
- Live on grounds
- Not Drug or Alcohol Dependant
- Work from 5-6 hours a day, 5 days per week
- Maturity, flexibility, a meditation practice and motivation for spiritual life
- Dedication to self-development
You will be involved with the creation of several interdependent organizations while living on grounds in a spiritually and self-development focused intentional community where our entire actions, thoughts, and speech set the tone for an entire budding organization. You must be practiced and mature enough to know how to foster wholesome working and personal relationships inside and outside. We will often have silent personal and group retreats. Being in “noble” silence is not a requirement but we do need to cultivate wholesome speech and limit our conversations. If you do not already have a personal practice such as meditation, this position could prove a challenge. However, if you don’t have a meditation practice yet dedicated to self development, these positions may provide an excellent opportunity.
Marketing Intern Overview:
This position will provide an excellent opportunity to learn most digital marketing strategies and will help you get a job in the marketing field, specifically as a content manager.
Most notably you will be learning what is known as social marketing. Social marketing is an approach used to develop activities aimed at providing a social benefit for individuals and society as a whole as opposed to solely profit based.
You will work closely with the marketing director and the spiritual director in implementation of several marketing strategies across interdependent organizations including a non-profit, a for-profit Inn, a meditation retreat center, spa, and intentional community.
Position will last for 6 months, with an opportunity for another 6 month extension.
Intern will be involved in strategy and management across several platforms including wordpress, google adwords, social media, and email marketing.
Research and analytics will include external sources as well as internal historical data. In addition to gathering, organizing, and updating data, intern will assist in demographic development and cultivation.
Specific duties include, but may not be limited to:
- Assist in the distribution or delivery of marketing materials
- Updating several websites
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of training materials on an online learning management system
- Perform analysis of marketing and sales data
- Enter contact information into contact management systems
- Provide support to social media efforts
- Maintain tracking report of public relations activity
In this position you will learn how to:
- Conduct market research
- Drive traffic to desired sources
- Manage, update and learn a CRM (customer relationship management)software
- Learn social media strategy/marketing
- Manage and strategize PPC(pay per click) campaigns on google adwords, Bing Ads, and Yahoo Ads
- Write a press release
- Gathering and organizing information to help with decision-making regarding ad placement
- Cultivating a demographic for a crowdsourcing campaign
- Write Effective email marketing campaigns
- Update wordpress and learn basic HTML
- Search Engine Optimization
- People who major in or are interested in sales, marketing, graphic design, or Advertising.
- Background in research
- Graphic design ++
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the Web and social media.
- Proficient in microsoft office products
- History of non-profit work
Personal Assistant Intern Overview:
You will be a personal assistant to our spiritual director and founder, Venerable Pannavati, a female Buddhist Monk. This position provides administrative, secretarial, and organizational support with responsibility for appointments and calendar, contacts, travel, and non-profit projects.
You will work closely with Ven. Pannavati and provide a general point of contact across several interdependent organizational missions including this retreat center and intentional community, Buddhist training programs, international service retreats and national speaking engagements.
This person must have maturity, exceptional organization skills, and be a self-starter. Venerable Pannavati has many speaking engagements throughout the year, works by skype, and sometimes in various time zones. You should be expect to be on call with immediate responsiveness. As part of a team, the executive assistant undertakes general administrative work, proactively informs Venerable Pannavati of daily schedule, books flights, organizes and coordinates events and functions, and executes additional administrative and personal tasks as required by Venerable Pannavati.
Specific duties include, but may not be limited to:
- answering telephone calls
- Responding to emails
- arranging appointments
- taking messages
- typing/word processing
- organising meetings
- using a variety of software packages
- booking transport and accommodations
- implementing and maintaining procedures/administrative systems
- liaising with staff across multiple organizations
In this position you will learn:
- Business administration
- Non-profit administration
- Develop professional relationships
- Basic marketing strategies
- Business development
- Event management
- Experience in administrative or executive assistant positions
- Knowledge of Buddhist monastic conduct and Buddhist tradition
- exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Desire to work on self-development
- Proficient in social media
- excellent word processing and IT skills, including knowledge of a range of software packages;
- ability to work under pressure;
- good organisational and time management skills;
- ability to research, digest, analyse and present material clearly and concisely;
- excellent interpersonal skills;
- ability to work on your own initiative;
- honesty and reliability;
- attention to detail;
- flexibility and adaptability to juggle a range of different tasks and to work extra hours to meet deadlines;
- discretion and an understanding of confidentiality issues.
The Groundskeeper-General Maintenance Worker performs semi-skilled work in the maintenance, care, and modification of Heartwood grounds and landscapes which includes the operation of electrically-powered and gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines, and the use of small hand and power tools or equipment in planting, cultivating, and trimming grounds and landscaping. The Groundskeeper also performs maintenance on groundskeeping equipment and tools, and makes minor repairs (within demonstrated capability) as directed. The Groundskeeper/General Maintenance Worker changes light bulbs, paints walls, woodwork, furniture, and equipment, makes minor carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repairs, delivers supplies, materials, and equipment as needed, retrieves and documents transfer of accountability of surplus property, provides custodial services, etc.
Specific duties include, but may not be limited to:
- Performs tasks common to the care of grounds and landscapes by seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as inside flowers and cuttings used in transplanting; inspecting plant materials for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identifying replacements; transplanting, pruning, trimming, and cultivating trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers; and storing and caring for bulbs and cuttings in the winter season.
- Performs regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance by mowing lawns with riding or push mowers; trimming and edging around trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, sidewalks and buildings; weeding, thinning and cleaning flower beds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment; and setting up, adjusting, repairing, and cleaning irrigation systems.
- Provides a record of grounds and landscape watering and chemical spraying by keeping daily logs of areas watered and duration of watering and the application of chemicals, including areas sprayed, amount and type of chemicals used, substances sprayed and reason, and the wind speed and direction at time of spraying.
- Performs campus-wide general maintenance and repairs by installing, removing, repairing and maintaining landscape lighting, parking meters, signs, cables, chains, barricades, gates, bicycle racks, feeders, posts, fences, and rock walls; and repairing streets, parking lots, athletic fields, tennis courts, track and omni turf, as applicable.
- Removes unsightly trash and debris from public areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, manhole covers, etc., for debris; raking, sweeping and bagging leaves, debris, dirt and trash from streets, sidewalks, parking lots, tunnels, and transporting the trash to designated central collection points on a daily basis.
- Reduces the likelihood for the spread of diseases and unsightly appearance of trash containers in public areas by emptying, cleaning and disinfecting trash and cigarette receptacles on a regular basis, and removing, repairing and installing trash and cigarette receptacles on University property on an as needed basis.
- Assists in preventing accidents resulting from snow or ice covered walkways by removing mowing decks and installing snow removal equipment on riding mowers and tractors; operating snow blowers, tractors or mowers with blades and using shovels to remove snow and spread sand, chat and salt on snow- or ice-covered surfaces.
- Prepares outdoor locations for use by visitors, vendors, and the public as needed by campus operations and, if applicable, painting and marking athletic fields, moving bleachers and seating, and erecting portable goals or other athletic equipment.
- Applies chemicals used in groundskeeping (horticulture, turf management, and floriculture) properly and safely by wearing prescribed protective clothing, masks, and/or rubber gloves and boots, following either written or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, applying the chemicals properly on grounds and landscapes designated for their use, and disposing of residual chemical products as directed or storing and labeling them for future use.
- Safely operates light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, street sweepers or riding mowers and portable power tools and equipment such as saws, grass trimmers, snow/leaf blowers, sprayers, paint machines and other groundskeeping equipment by obeying applicable traffic laws and following operator instructions, and wearing appropriate safety items such as goggles, gloves, or other appropriate protective clothing.
- Ensures that grounds maintenance equipment and building maintenance equipment are operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning of tools, equipment and machines within reasonable capabilities.
- Replaces and disposes of light bulbs in interior building settings using ladders, lifts, or other tools.
- Performs painting work in the preparation, patching, finishing, and maintaining of building structures, walls, woodwork, furniture, and equipment.
- Performs delivery services by identifying supplies, materials, and equipment to be delivered from invoices or order forms, safely loading items on the delivery vehicle, safeguarding items during transit, delivering items to the correct department, and obtaining the appropriate signature for the receipt of the delivered items.
- Performs custodial services following established procedures and guidelines in buildings, classrooms, offices, lavatories, restrooms, etc. including their furnishings, using manual tools and powered machines.
- Performs minor maintenance work using hand and power tools by making carpentry repairs such as nailing down loose boards, or replacing worn or rotten floor boards, performing minor plumbing repairs, and replacing defective electrical switches, light bulbs, fuses, and fluorescent ballasts.
- Contributes to the overall success of the campus by performing all other related duties as assigned.
- Carpentry experience
- Painting experience
- Electrical or plumbing license
- Small engine repair knowledge
- Experience using power tools
- Cleaning experience
- Drivers license
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com