Interfaith Devotional – Healing Racism (Part 7)
November 16, 2019
Heartwood Interfaith Devotional Gathering presents Healing Racism (Part 7), an evening of good fun, good company and good food.
Saturday, Nov 16, 4:00-6:00pm Potluck Dinner and visiting time 6:oo-7:00pm
This will be a very fun evening as we challenge ourselves and our friends with the card game Your Privilege is Showing.
Y.P.I.S. is a game that focuses on identifying and naming social injustice in real life current events. It gives you the chance to practice articulating what you think and why. It’s not about saying the “right thing”. It’s about saying your true thing and working to get more specific and accurate. The person with the most points at the end of the game is the Perfectly Adequate Human.
Players engage each other’s perspectives, delve into their own, and utilize personal knowledge and experience to practice how to have these conversations in progressive and productive ways.
- Recognize and name social injustice in the world and in our own lives
- Work through the discomfort of talking about our own culpability with white supremacy, patriarchy and other forms of bias based on privilege
- Be aware of the ways in which each of us are ignorant and how social justice and injustice impacts all of our daily lives.
- Improve communication skills to better navigate complex, charged topics
- Build empathy and trust with each other
Bring a dish to share